The Fundamental approach to ESG
Fundamental Asset Management is committed to a range of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) principles which help us to operate and invest responsibly. Through these principles, we aim to positively impact our internal and external stakeholders and wider communities.
UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
The 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals were adopted by UN Member States in 2015, as part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. We are committed to ensuring alignment with the SDGs, working towards ending poverty, protecting the planet and improving the lives and prospects of everyone, everywhere. The UN SDGs are central to ESG.
Principles for Responsible Investment
Fundamental Asset Management is a signatory of the Principles for Responsible Investment (‘PRI’), the world’s leading proponent of responsible investment.
The PRI is the world’s leading proponent of responsible investment. It works:
- to understand the investment implications of ESG factors;
- to support its international network of investor signatories in incorporating these factors into their investment and ownership decisions.
The PRI acts in the long-term interests:
- of its signatories;
- of the financial markets and economies in which they operate;
- and ultimately of the environment and society as a whole.
The PRI encourages investors to use responsible investment to enhance returns and better manage risks.
Our ESG commitment
As institutional investors, we have a duty to act in the best long-term interests of our beneficiaries. In this fiduciary role, we believe that ESG issues can affect the performance of investment portfolios (to varying degrees across companies, sectors, regions, asset classes and through time). We also recognise that applying these Principles may better align investors with broader objectives of society. Therefore, where consistent with our fiduciary responsibilities, Fundamental Asset Management commits to the following:
- To incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes;
- To be an active owner and to incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices;
- To seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest;
- To promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry;
- To work with the PRI Secretariat and other signatories to enhance their effectiveness in implementing the Principles;
- To report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
We will continue to review our ESG principles to ensure these reflect the changing landscape.
In addition to our ESG principles, we abide by the Modern Slavery Act.